My Broken Brown Slippers

With Christmas on the horizon, I wanted to make an appreciation post for what has been my only pair of slippers for around five years at this point, give or take a year or two. They were actually a Christmas present, and although they were too big for me when I got them they were still a perfect gift. The slippers have a heel, and the heels were the only thing keeping them on my feet the first year or so that I wore them. The inside was fluffy fake fur that might have been white with brown streaks at some point but is just a dirty gray now. In fact, the inside isn't even fluffy anymore. Both slippers have a hole in the front, and the soles are so flattened that walking around in them is like walking around with cardboard on the bottom of your feet.
My favorite memory of these slippers is from early on in their life with me. It had just snowed and my siblings and I wanted to go mess around on our trampoline. Because snow is fun and trampolines are fun, so obviously the two together are fun. The only problem was we didn't want to wear boots on the trampoline, because I guess we thought the hard soles would damage it or something. Maybe we just misunderstood the no-shoes rule and thought it was for the trampoline's safety instead of ours. But now I had my trusty slippers, so instead of bundling my feet up in a ton of socks and some plastic bags, I bundled them up in a ton of socks, my slippers, and some plastic bags.
Their main use was to keep my feet warm inside though. I do this really annoying thing where I roll my socks off of my feet with my feet without realizing it and then my feet get really cold and I leave socks lying all over the house. One of those things annoys me the other annoys my parents. It's not too bad because we don't keep our house particularly cold, but my room is more separated from the rest of the house than most of the other rooms so it's a little colder. Which is a problem because my desk is in my room, so I always end up working and wondering why my feet are cold and then I look down and realize I'm not wearing any socks. So I almost always wear my slippers while working at my desk.
My slippers have also guest-starred in two Uni High Theatre productions. They were in Almost Maine last year. Which was not a good show but oh well. And then I wore them for almost all of A Christmas Carol. And it was excruciating. I was standing for almost the entire show, walking around with no support at all. Every night I got home and sat down or lay down because I couldn't spend a single second standing if  I didn't need to. That was my wakeup call. It was almost like the slippers were trying to tell me their time was up. So the only thing on my Christmas list this year is a new pair of slippers. I'm going to keep the old ones, of course, I just don't think they'll get much use anymore.
They are a perfect example of how I use things. Until it causes me great physical discomfort or anger I will keep using it. Just because the slippers were broken down I had no plans to ask for new ones until I realized how uncomfortable they had become.

Comments

Popular Posts